Friday, September 25, 2009








What gorgeous weather we’ve been having in Maryland lately. Fall has already set in; cool mornings, warm days and cool evenings! I dread the winter coming. I hate when everything turns brown and my yard looks like a mess. I guess that just makes me appreciate the spring even more. I'll also miss the creatures of the gardens. I have quite a few types of butterflies that enjoy my flowers and butterfly bushes and amazing hummingbirds. This photo is of an Eastern Black Swallowtail and a Tiger Swallowtale.
I take many pictures ~ check out my slide show! I guess I'll spend the winter reading up on gardening! I ordered a couple books on seeds on the internet ~ big mistake, from now on, I think I’ll check out the books in person before buying. One of the books I ordered was called “Seeds”, sounded like something educational ~ it was, but maybe for a child. I guess I’ll give it to my 2.5 year old niece for Christmas. She’s used to getting gardening gifts from me! The other book seems to be geared for vegetable gardening more so than flowers. It’s not that I don’t do any vegetable gardening, but my passion is w/ flower gardening. I also ordered a book on Pollinating. It has a lot of information and beautiful photos. It's a pretty large book so it should keep me busy most of the winter! If anyone has knows of a good book on seed collecting, please let me know. I’m just kind of winging it with what I’ve done so far. Some flowers are easy to collect seeds from but others are a little more difficult. It’s just trial and error for me this year.
I’m enjoying all the new blooms in my gardens; mums, asters, golden rod and snakeroot. I planted 6 giant alliums today! Sure hope the squirrels don’t find them. I bought the “Awesome auger” last year at Target. What a great tool that is. It hooks up to the power drill and w/in minutes, all the holes are dug and ready to be filled! I’m learning that bulb flowers look better when planted in groups instead of individually. Get out there and get those bulbs planted soon!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jeni. The blog looks great! Really nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank John! That's a compliment coming from you!
    Your travel photos are really amazing. Be safe~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeni,
    Great blog! I love the photo of the butterflies! Your slide show looks great too. I think your off to a really good start.
    I'll add your link to a couple of my blogs and hopefully some more people will find you!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Like you, I love gardening. Just found your blog today; glad you started it. Hope you stop by and visit me...I blog about cooking and gardening, my gardening posts are on my sidebar under I FIORI Flowers or NATURE. I've begun to follow your posts also. Have a lovely day! Roz (bella)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen for recommending this site! It's so much easier that the other and I'm still finding new things. It's easier for checking out other blog sites too! Love all 3 of your's!
    xo

    Thanks Roz for checking in! Your site really makes me hungry! LOL I'm not much of a cook, but I may try one of your recipes! I didn't find the link on your sidebar for I FIORI Flowers but I did enjoy your blog on the blue flowers! Have a great week!
    Jeni

    ReplyDelete

Start a smile chain: give one away today! Thanks for stopping in! Jeni

~