Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spring time ~

I finally had some time to spend in my gardens this weekend!  The weather co-operated yesterday but not so much today.  I was able to get quite a bit of the mulching done before the rain started and should be able to finish it up tomorrow.  I'm not sure how many more years this old body is going to be able to keep up with the mulching.  I ache from head to toe ~ My son helped a little yesterday but he was trying to finish up some school work. 

I also decided to plant an herb garden this year ~ more to attract butterflies than for the actual herbs to use for cooking ~ but who knows.  I picked up a couple raised bed frames at Walmart for $30 a piece and some garden soil.  Herb that I planted were:  Fennel, Dill, Cilantro, Parsley, Thyme, Lemon balm, hyssop, and Rosemary.  Some of which are host plants for certain butterflies. 
Instead of using fancy, expensive plant labels ~ I use disposable white plastic knives and a sharpie marker.  They can be reused from year to year ~ if you continue to plant the same things that is.  I planted everything from seed so we'll see how it goes.  I'll post new photos as the season progresses.
I also planted my veggie garden this weekend.  I had to till it with a shovel because it probably would've been to muddy for a tiller.  I also used my "Awesome auger" to break up some of the larger pieces of dirt and mix in the compost.  Usually I put the compost in much earlier but didn't get around to it this year.
I planted tomatoes (which I surrounded with these water filled tubes ~ the sun heats the water and keeps the plant warm until the chance of frost is gone), cucumbers, beans, lettuce, and peppers.  I also decided to try asparagus this year.  I hope it does well.  I heard it takes about three years to get established.
The raised garden is only about 11' x 4' and the rest is roughly 4' x 4'.  I always plant wild flowers along the back of the garden for when all the veggies are done.  Tulips were planted there in the fall of last year.  I sprinkles seeds from zinnias, marigolds, cosmos, and cleomes along the back this year.  I had planted a mixed bag of 120 tulips throughout my yard last fall, and was surprised with all the beautiful types and colors of tulips that came up! 
 This Parrot tulip was especially nice!  I might have to order more of  these for next year!

Here are a few photos from my gardens this year so far!



I love the flower pots and saucer bird baths ~ glue together with epoxy.
They were $4 a piece at Walmart ~ can't beat that for a bird bath! The little house I purchased unfinished at a craft store and painted.  I sprayed it with a polyurethane sealer to protect it from the weather.


Garden phlox

Gerber daisy ~ these remind my of my best friend ~ it's her favorite flower!

 
Siberian Iris  ~ not sure why this photo didn't upload well.  (they look squished)
My sister gave me these 3 years ago from her garden ~ this is the first year that they bloomed!!!
Bleeding heart

Stumps can be beautiful too!

Candelabra primrose just beginning to bloom. 
 The bloom stem will shoot up about 6-12" before the flowers open.

Avens Cookie ~ perennial geranium


Couldn't resist adding a photo of my bluebird!  I have nests in both of my bluebird houses this year!

Hope you enjoyed the photos!  I have to get to bed to rest up for more mulching tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Start a smile chain: give one away today! Thanks for stopping in! Jeni

~