Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mums and Asters




I'm sure many of you know about pinching back your mums and asters, but I didn't until a few years ago so for those of you who don't know...once your mums and asters start coming up in the spring, once a month you should pinch or trim back these plants to keep them from getting too leggy and flop over in the fall! You should continue pinching them back until the end of July. I cut them back about 3" or 4" each month and look how beautiful they turned out. These photos were taken around the middle of September. The asters are pretty much done their first bloom but it looks like a second set of buds are going to pop. The mums have continued to look gorgeous! The asters I have were started from one plant I bought about 5 years ago. They spread like crazy. I've dug up the seedlings and moved them into a few other beds, even the tiny ones bloomed! I'll probably have to split the mums once they are done this year. They got pretty big and I could use some in other areas for next year! That's the great thing about this time of year ~ spreading the beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start a smile chain: give one away today! Thanks for stopping in! Jeni

~